about       archive       goodreads

Tuesday, 1 July 2014

The Halfway Mark - help!

So we're halfway through 2014 already - where did that go? - and I as you may have guessed from the severe lack of activity on here, I've completely lost my reading mojo. Last year was full of amazing stories, but in the past 6 months I feel like I've read one forgettable book after another. Looking through my Goodreads stats I'm only a couple of titles behind my reading goal but almost all of them have been average 3-star ratings. After adoring From The Fatherland, With Love last month I thought I had cracked it, but June has offered another three or four mediocre titles and I can't even muster up the enthusiasm to review them.

I need something to shake me up and give me my passion back! What do you guys do when you find yourselves in a reading funk? Tell me about some books that you have fallen head over heels in love with in 2014 so far!

Hopefully I will be back in action soon...I have all my fingers crossed that the book fairies will look kindly on me and the next one's going to be a cracker...

7 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, can you go with a classic to maybe cleanse your palate? Or maybe some graphic novels? I really loved Tell the Wolves I'm Home but honestly nothing else I've read in 2014 has been AH-MAZING. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh interesting! I have Tell The Wolves I'm Home sitting on my shelf to be read. Had almost forgotten it was there. Thanks for the recommendation! I hope you find some more AH-MAZING books in 2014 too!

      Delete
  2. I hate when this happens, I don't want to ever go through another reading slump ever. If you find a way to break the slump let me know, I'm collecting ideas; http://literary-exploration.com/2013/11/23/how-to-deal-with-reading-slumps/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, some really good ideas here! I don't think something 'light'/genre fiction is the answer for me, in fact part of the problem is that I've encountered too many throwaway reads that were only OK. But I really like the idea of trying some short stories, or re-reading an old favourite. Might give some of this a try.

      Delete
  3. I was in a 7 or 8 year reading slump a long time ago when I was doing some very time- and brain-consuming work in systems analysis. Recently the only slumps I have had were only a few months and they occurred when I was learning something (a similar situation to the systems analysis work) like knitting, and could not concentrate on both. But it has been a while since I experienced those types of slumps.

    Recently I read The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home and I just finished The Crow Trap by Ann Cleeve. Both were different from my normal read, although both were crime fiction novels. I loved both of them, but I haven't reviewed them yet. They might not work for you. Everyone is so different in what constitutes an extraordinary book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tough when this is the case. I hope by now you have found something to get you reading again. I haven't felt like this year (or in fact last year) the books I have read have been as good as the ones from a couple of years ago, overall. I read Fingersmith by Sarah Waters recently and enjoyed that, though I don't know whether it's a 'mojo restoring' type of read. The Cuckoo's Calling was a good read that got me out of a reading dip earlier this year actually. I hope you pick up something soon that grabs you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have nominated you for an award. I was hoping it would help you with your slump. http://booketta.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete