about       archive       goodreads

Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Top Ten book covers I'd frame as pieces of art

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic, brought to you by The Broke and The Bookish, is a feast for the eyes - they've asked us all to think long and hard about our favourite book covers, the ones that you'd be happy to enlarge and have hanging in a frame in pride of place on your wall. I love this topic! I've spent far too long clicking away on Google image search results looking for my favourite editions of my favourite books. It's so fascinating to see how the cover artwork changes over the years, or how a novel can be illustrated so differently from one country to the next.


What amazed me most was the number of absolutely stunning original re-designs of covers of some of my favourite classic stories that can be found on the online portfolios and websites of illustrators and graphic designers. I stumbled across some gorgeous interpretations that I would be delighted to display in my home or have sitting proudly on my bookshelves. How about this one, by BumbleExpress via DeviantArt
Or this one here by illustrator Thomas Walker?

 
You have to wonder why our local bookshops are filled with identikit stock images of pictures of women with their heads cropped out of the frame, or silhouettes walking into the sunset, when there is obviously such a wealth of talent and innovation to be found in the fields of illustration and graphic design. This article from Book Riot about tired book cover trends was originally published in December 2012 but unfortunately still rings true today!

Ultimately, it was too hard for me to choose a top ten - so here are just a selection of ten covers that I loved and would be proud to display in a frame in my home!











6 comments:

  1. Some gorgeous designs here, just stunning! Lovely post, I can imagine it would be very easy to spend hours and hours looking at them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely covers. I am especially fond of the Rivers of London cover also. Note how many have a good bit of red. A favorite (recent, modern) book cover of mine is also red: The Teleportation Accident. Haven't read the book yet, but the cover really appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Teleportation Accident but agree the cover is gorgeous! I am always attracted to red-tinged covers. My end-of-year review posts are full of red and black designs. There's something so striking about it.

      Delete
  3. I love the Tiny Wife - also not seen that Ernest Cline before - I loved that book! Also The Sisters Brothers - how could i have missed that one.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sisters Brothers is one of my absolute favourites! Such a clever design, and so attractive. The Ernest Cline one hasn't actually been used as the cover of a published book as far as I'm aware, I just found it on the website of an illustrator who has designed his own interpretation of it. But isn't it gorgeous - I think a publisher should snap it up straight away because it would look stunning on my shelf!

      Delete
  4. Some great books covers there, reminding me of the ones I forgot to add

    ReplyDelete