about       archive       goodreads

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Top Ten Books On My Winter TBR

I've never really been into blogging memes or regular weekly features before, but Top Ten Tuesday is something that has always appealed to me. The themes that they choose over at The Broke and the Bookish are always fun and I look forward to reading everybody else's choices. I'm more likely to vastly expand my wishlist on a Tuesday than on any other day! So I've decided to join in from time to time when there's a topic that particularly catches my eye.

This week, book bloggers have been sharing what's on their Winter TBR. As I'm getting back into the swing of blogging, it feels like a perfect time to let you know what I'm hoping to get through over the next couple of months. I'm not really into 'themed' reads with Christmassy settings, so this is a mix of review copies, buzz books, and things I just really fancy getting stuck into.

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

Yes, it's that massive one that won the Booker. An involving Victorian mystery novel with a host of delicious characters, prospectors and opium dens. It sounds irresistible. What better to curl up with on a cold Winter's weekend?
Shift by Hugh Howey

This is a bit of a cheat, as it's what I'm reading now. I absolutely loved the dystopia Howey has created in Wool when I read it earlier this year, so I'm surprised it's taken me so long to get around to this prequel.







Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch

I've just finished reading the third book in Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. Usually I try to leave a decent period of time in between reading each installment of a serial, but Whispers Underground was just so good I don't think I'll be able to wait very long for this one. Peter Grant's adventures just keep getting better and better.






In The Woods by Tana French

I'm always on the lookout for a good crime fiction series, but even more so over the holiday period for some reason - festive, eh? I've heard really good things about Tana French and her thrillers set in Ireland, so when I spotted this first book in a charity shop recently, I snapped it right up. I love the simple but striking cover, too.





A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

Murakami is up there as one of my all time favourite authors, so much so that I try to carefully ration my reading of his work because of a fear that one day I'll have no more Murakami left to enjoy. But I've realised that I haven't read any of his books at all yet in 2013, and that is something that needs to be rectified. A little bit of magical realism over the Winter period sounds just perfect.






Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple

Months ago I picked a handful of the Women's Prize For Fiction longlist that I really wanted to read, and this is the last of them that is still hanging around on my shelves. I'd like to finish it sooner rather than later, and it seems like a fairly easy, breezy read that will happily occupy a couple of lazy days over Christmas.





Hawthorn & Child by Keith Ridgway

This unconventional piece of police noir is on my Winter TBR primarily because I received it as a gift from my brother last Christmas and still haven't read it! Usually I make a big effort to read gifts as soon as possible, so I don't know what happened here. It's one of those that was high on my wishlist at the time but has always taken second place to newer, more 'exciting' books. It's supposed to be really excellent, though, so I'm looking forward to finally getting started. 




The Goddess And The Thief by Essie Fox

A maharajah, a medium, a healthy dose of mysticism...this latest Victorian Gothic offering from Essie Fox sounds like so much fun! I was lucky enough to win a copy of this in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway, and I can see myself being absolutely enchanted by the plot to steal a sacred Indian diamond. Definitely think this is one I will be reading very soon.





Let The Games Begin by Niccolo Ammaniti

Now this is a book that I received for review from NetGalley a few months back and promptly forgot about - oops! I've fallen a little behind with my NetGalley reviews while I had some time off blogging. So I need to get around to reading this over the next few weeks. Based on the official blurb, it sounds a bit mad, but in a really good way:

"WARNING: Contains Satanic cults, intoxicated supermodels, Olympic refugees and man-eating hippos"

 
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Am I the last person in the world to read this series? Maybe, just maybe. I have certainly turned my nose up at Suzanne Collins' trilogy before, but a couple of weeks ago I was bullied by a friend into watching the two movies and I think I might be hooked. The cliffhanger ending at the end of Catching Fire slayed me. That'll teach me to watch a film before reading the book! I can't possibly wait another year for the next film to be made, so I'm going to have to catch up on the novels as soon as possible!



So there you have it - my Winter TBR. I doubt I'll get through all of these, and will probably get distracted by other books along the way, but I'll be happy if I can read half of them before the season is over. What are you planning to read over the festive season?

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely looking forward to your reviews on these books. I read In the Woods and liked it a lot. Very long but different in a good way, in my opinion. I have only read one Rivers of London book but I am anxious to get to books 2 and 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about In The Woods so I'm glad to hear you liked it! The Rivers of London series just keeps getting better and better. Book 3 in particular was fantastic.

      Delete
  2. What a good list! I've also got Hugh Howie and Ben Aaronavitch to read so must get a move on!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I am glad you approve! I am slowly finding myself reading more and more fantasy :-)

      Delete