about       archive       goodreads

Monday, 31 December 2012

A Year Of Reading


So it's that time of year again, when we reflect on the trials and successes of the year and of course geek out over reading stats...I abandoned my Goodreads challenge fairly early on in the year after a nasty eye problem left me unable to read for a month, but think I have managed an average of around a book a week which I'm fairly content with - although well aware I am left eating the dust of many other bloggers who have read double that!

However I like to think it's quality rather than quantity that counts and luckily I've discovered some gems over the past 12 months (although I don't think any of these are 2012 releases). My favourites are listed above, books that I've urged onto various friends and relatives. It seems I am a sucker for a red, white and black colour scheme.

I'm off now to curl up with a blanket and a large coffee and browse the internet for everyone else's Best Of 2012 lists for some inspiration to add to my TBR. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and all the best for 2013.

10 comments:

  1. You do have a nice colour scheme of covers going on there! I have Alys Always and The Night Circus sitting on my to be read pile and am looking forward to them. I loved the film of The Talented Mr Ripley but have never read the book. Hope you've had a fab Christmas and have a Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the opposite Lindsay - I adored the novel but never got round to watching Ripley on film. I am sure I'd love it though, and am considering re-joining LoveFilm this year so it will have to go on my list if I do. Season's greetings to you too, and all the best for 2013!x

      Delete
  2. Night Circus and (especially Ready Player One) were favorites of mine, too. I loved another book by Ross Raisin, Waterline. I haven't read the one you mention.

    I haven't made a list yet. Will do sometime soon. :-)

    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God's Own Country is one of those books that really stays with you - I was recommending it to someone else only this morning. I have heard that Waterline is really powerful, too. I am so, so behind on catching up with everyone on my blog reader but am looking forward to read your best-of list. More for my TBR no doubt! Happy New Year.x

      Delete
  3. A nice eclectic collection. One of my NY resolutions is to read more non -crime books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be interested to hear more about your non-crime choices!

      Delete
  4. I thought 1Q84 were ok. I have "God's own country" and also Waterline. Glad you had a good year, here's for more greatness to come in 2013!

    JoV's Book Pyramid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waterline is definitely on my wishlist to read in 2013. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these books, but 1Q84 and Night circus are on my TBR pile :)

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved them both, hope you enjoy them as much. Happy New Year!

      Delete