about       archive       goodreads

Tuesday, 25 December 2012

A Merry Christmas To All!

This post is scheduled in advance as on the day itself I shall be working a 12-hour shift in A&E (bah humbug), but I wanted to make sure to wish all my readers and followers the very best of season's greetings. I hope that you all have a relaxing week however you choose to spend it.


And just for fun, here's a little sneak peek at the bookish delights that some of my friends and family will be unwrapping under the Christmas tree this morning...


Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre - my younger brother has requested a copy of Ben Goldacre's eye-opening book about the influence that big drug companies have over doctors and the ways in which they cleverly manipulate clinical practice in a manner that is not always best for patients. I was only too happy to oblige as I am keen to read this one too, so hopefully will be able to borrow it after he's finished and fulfil the non-fiction category of my Literary Exploration challenge. 


 

 
Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch - Dad has really enjoyed the first two installments of the Rivers Of London trilogy, and the third novel provoked a startlingly enthusiastic response from the staff in my local bookshop when I presented it at the till. It's definitely on my radar as one to try in 2013.

The Boy In The Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbol and Agnete Friis - I have to admit this one is a bit of a wild card. My Dad loves his Scandinavian crime and this sounds a bit different from the norm so I picked up a copy purely based on multiple positive reviews from trusted bloggers. I'm always a bit apprehensive about giving gifts of books when the recipient hasn't already expressed an interest in it - what if they hate it? - but at the same time there's nothing better than introducing somebody to a surprise new favourite.



 
 


Disgrace by Jussi Adler-Olsen - Dad & I both loved Mercy by this author so I hope he will be happy to catch up with Detective Carl Morck and his assistant Assad in the next book in the Department Q series.




  
Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger - My boyfriend is a big Arnie fan and you have to admit he's had quite a colourful life. From being born in a year of famine in a little village in Austria he's managed to make an international name for himself first through bodybuilding, then as a major Hollywood superstar and more recently in his political role as governor of California. There are always so many celebrity autobiographies around at this time of year and often I can't help but wonder how some of these people manage to fill a book when they've only been in the public eye for five minutes, but I bet Schwarzenegger has countless stories to share.




I feel I have done a good job picking books that my nearest and dearest will love but that also all (with the exception of Arnie) happen to be on my own wishlist! However did that happen...


4 comments:

  1. The books look great Marie. I hope A and E wasn't too stressful. I'm looking forward to your posts next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you Sarah, hope you had a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas Mary, I think the Arnie book will be interesting and hopefully pick it up in the sales. Hope you had a lovely Christmas and got lots of books.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it looks like a good one Lainy, I don't usually read biographies but might make an exception for this one. My other half hasn't got very far with it yet but is enjoying it. Hope you had a lovely Christmas too, and a Happy New Year!

      Delete