about       archive       goodreads

Friday, 9 November 2012

The Wellcome Trust Book Prize 2012 - Winner

I am a little behind with this post as I was firmly convinced that the winner of the Wellcome Trust Prize was to be announced tonight, when it was actually awarded two days ago. I often see bloggers refer to their blogging journals and schedules and vaguely dream about how it would be to be that organised. I can't imagine ever being someone that manages to review books to deadlines for publishers, for example. Maybe I will make a New Year's resolution to get my blogging act together a bit more! Until then, dear readers, you will have to be content with enjoying two-day-old news, so please put on your best surprised faces and let me announce that the winner of the 2012 prize is: Circulation by Thomas Wright.


You can read my initial post on the shortlist here. This was one of the books I was most interested in reading so I'm definitely going to get my hands on a copy this week. Mark Lawson, chair of judges says that it "combines scholarly science with such narrative excitement that it will be a great surprise if we do not eventually see 'Circulation: The Movie'". I'm not sure it sounds like a concept that I would enjoy watching on the big screen but I will reserve judgement until after I've read the book!

5 comments:

  1. I haven't been following this so your post is the first (and only) I see about it, even if you're a little late. To be honest, a book about circulation sounds boring - but if the writing is really good, any topic can turn into a great book!

    I own (but haven't read) the Peter James book on the list, which at first sight seems a lot more accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more of a memoir about William Harvey and his life I think. He was quite a controversial character and his theories of how circulation works went completely against everything that was generally accepted at the time. I am quite interested in the history of medicine - they used to do all kinds of weird and wonderful experiments that seem insane to us now!

      I've just posted my review of the Peter James book - overall I didn't really enjoy it but it gave me a lot to think about and I'd be really interested to read your thoughts when you've finished it!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for explaining. Medical history can be very interesting, I agree. A pity you didn't enjoy the James book so much. I'll check out your review.

      Delete
  2. I've heard really good things about this book. I'm eager to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Rachel. I placed my order for a copy today!

      Delete