about       archive       goodreads

Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Mountain High - Europe's 50 Greatest Cycle Climbs

Now as a general rule I'll try to keep this blog strictly fiction, as I'm not a big non-fiction reader. And I was trying my very hardest to avoid any Olympic talk, seeing as I have spent the past few weeks in a grouchy mood and generally feeling a bit of a Scrooge about the whole thing. But I will make an exception to quickly mention this bookish treat that dropped through my letterbox this week.


Spectator sports are just not my cup of tea, but my other half is a mad cycling fan - both watching cycling and taking part himself. The Tour de France is the highlight of his year and he will happily while away spare hours watching DVD repeats of his favourite stages even when the action is over. So when I spotted a giveaway with a cycling theme on Twitter courtesy of Quercus Books I had to give it a go. And lo and behold, it was my lucky day (or my boyfriend's lucky day depending on how you look at it).

Mountain High is a gorgeous coffee table book detailing Europe's 50 best cycle climbs. It is packed full of lush photographs of some of the most spectacular scenery this continent has to offer, a real treat for the eyes. At the same time it is very informative and tells you anything you could hope to know about the cycle routes themselves. The data is presented in an accessible way and any serious cyclist could easily be inspired to challenge themselves to take on one of these climbs after reading this book. It would make a fantastic gift for any cycling fan, be it someone who has loved the sport for many years or someone who has only recently become enchanted with the likes of Bradley Wiggins thanks to Team GB and their Olympic success!

No comments:

Post a Comment